How does one apply for an Indian Passport and what documents do I need?
You can apply for Passport through Online Registration, (after doing online registration, get print outs of the application form) click here for details for Online Registration. Apart from this applicant can submit directly in the respective passport office/ DPCs/Speed post centers, get the relevant application form from here.
Passport is needed for travel overseas. Normally, it takes 2 – 3 months to get the fresh passport but in some States it may take up to 6 months also. If there is time – apply under the ordinary processing scheme (Rs 1000). If time is short use the TATKAL scheme (Rs. 2,000-2,500 fee); and get your passport in TWO weeks. Purchase the passport form, read it twice, complete it with enclosures and submit it. It is a very simple process. No need for brokers. Your new Passport will be valid for 10 years.
The following documents are needed for Passport under ordinary scheme. The completed form can be submitted personally (self attested copy of documents) or by speed post (notary attested photocopy of documents).
- Your birth certificate or school-leaving certificate.
- Proof of residence.
- Certificate of educational qualifications (Class X or XII Mark sheet)
- Passport size photographs of the face with a white background
- Prescribed fee by the Passport office.
For application under Tatkal – you will need TWO additional documents: a) Affidavit as per format in the passport form and b) Verification letter from a Govt. officer of a certain rank – read the passport form for the format of each document and who can do verification. For Tatkal – you have to go personally and submit the form, with original documents.
The site: http://passport.nic.in contains city wise address & phone numbers of passport offices, fees and many other details. You can submit your application personally or via speed post. For TATKAL you have to personally visit the office with your Original documents. We recommend you apply for your passport IMMEDIATELY if you wish to travel overseas.
For Indians what is the Eligibility for MBBS Education overseas?
Any Indian Citizen who has:
- Attained 17 years of age as on December 31st in the year of Admission.
- Appeared & Passed 10+2 from a recognized Board in India / Abroad.
- Has Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as subjects in 12th & passed each subject.
- Has obtained minimum 50% (40% for SC/ST/OBC) in aggregate in PCB
is eligible to enroll in the Medical courses in India or overseas. These are the minimum guidelines as prescribed by the Medical Council of India.
What is the Admission process?
There is not entrance exam for admission in MBBS overseas.
- Admission is granted on class 12th marks.
- Admission on a first come first serve basis
- Excellent education from Bachelors to PhD is imparted. Foreign Universities are on par with AIIMS or even better. Students pass annual examinations to be promoted. External Board Examination is held. Standard of education is very high. Class Tests are conducted every day.
- Students wanting admission in MBBS overseas should contact MENTOR and we will assist you with admission. Complete the application form and fee and an admission letter will be issued to you. Submit your passport and other documents and we will process you.
- After you get a student visa a batch is formed and you fly in a group to join class
- The entire process takes about 4 to 8 weeks
How long does the Admission & Visa process take?
- The admission process takes 2- 4 weeks – if all documents are & complete.
- Admission is done year round on a “rolling admission policy”. Student applies for admission and completes Documents any time in the year. Admission is granted after filing. Student joins when the academic year commences.
- Admission Letter by the University is issued in 10 to 15 working days.
- Visa and travel documentation is complete subject to original papers from the student – such as passport & mark sheets etc. This takes 4-6 weeks in India.
- The entire process takes about 4 to 8 weeks
- Students are advised to apply for admission EARLY and to apply for their passports if they do not have one.
Does any exam like I.E.L.T.S., TOEFL, GRA, GMAT required for admission or visa?
No, IELTS, TOEFL, GRE or GMAT exams are not required for admission or visa.
What is MCI Eligibility Certificate and how do I get it?
All those students who have gone abroad before October 2013 to pursue MBBS degree were required to attain a Certificate of Eligibility from the Medical Council of India.
From October 2013 onwards, MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA has discontinued the system of obtaining Eligibility Certificate, so now; those students who apply for foreign medical University will not require getting Eligibility Certificate.
Please note: MCI has just waived off the requirement of obtaining the Eligibility Certificate. Student going abroad to pursue MBBS degree still must fulfill all the eligibility requirements, as mentioned in the Eligibility section of this page.
What is the MCI Screening Test? How many times can I appear for it? How do I register with the MCI after my Medical Degree overseas?
After your Degree overseas – you have to appear for a “Screening test” conducted by the National Board of Education (NBE), New Delhi. This is conducted twice a year; on last Saturday / Sunday of September and on last Saturday / Sunday of March. After you pass it, you file your papers with the MCI, which will give you a Registration Number and you are now legally registered to practice as a medical professional in India.
- There are NO LIMITS on the number of attempts for the Screening test
- A sincere student can pass the Screening Test in the 1st attempt. The Pass mark is 50%. The test is a QUALIFYING test similar to class 12. It is NOT an ELIMINATION test such as IIT, where only the top 2-3000 students get admission, irrespective of the marks. Here all that one has to do is to get 50% and one can pass the screening test.
- Students should NOT be worried of the screening test if they have studied in class. Study material & coaching is available for screening test if needed.
Which overseas University’s Medical Degree is recognized by MCI?
The current MCI guidelines for Foreign Universities are as follows:
- The foreign Medical University should be recognized by the WHO (World Health Organization).
- The Education Degree issued allows the student to practice in that country. (There should be no rule which disallows the degree holder from practicing in the country issuing the degree) Medical Universities represented by MENTOR are always MCI recognized.
Which Bachelor’s Medical Degree is recognized internationally? How do I register as a Doctor in India or any other Country?
After WTO and liberalization of Services – a Degree issued by a Govt. recognized Medical Institute is recognized internationally. In addition – most countries take a Competency Test prior to Registration as a medical professional. Some country’s Tests are as follows:
- India: National Board of Examination (NBE)
- United Kingdom: PLAB
- United States of America: USMLE
- Canada, Australia, Singapore etc. after passing respective exam conducted by each country’s board.
- MBBS/MD Doctors from our universities are eligible to practice in more than 150 countries, including India, after complying with local laws.
What is the “World Health Organization” (WHO) and WHO Directory?
The World Health Organization (WHO) is an international body. Recognizing Medical Institute is by the Government of an individual country and not the WHO. The WHO does publish a “Directory of Medical Institutes”, which is a list of Medical Colleges given to it by the Government of each Country. There is NO System of ranking by the WHO as claimed by some agents.
How is the medical education in Philippines?
Philippines follow the American system of education. This is shaped due to the fact that Philippines was a colony of USA for a period of 50 years, which shaped the education system and has brought out one of the best education system in Asia. The medical course in Philippines is called the MD program [Doctor of medicine]. The MD program is equivalent to MBBS of UK, India and other Commonwealth countries.
What is the Medium of Instruction in class – English?
Yes, the total medium of Instruction is ENGLISH in Philippines. Philippines has world’s third largest English speaking population and has the highest English literacy rate in Asia. At all level of education, English is the medium of instruction.
What is the Duration of the Course? What is the nomenclature of the Degree?
- The total duration of this MBBS course is 5.5 years. The first 16 months [1 year and 4 months] is called the Bachelor of Science program and
- Focuses on building foundation for a strong medical education.
- The next 4 year is the core medicine and clinical rotation
Can I work while studying?
NO. You are on a student visa; which does not allow employment in the county. A medical student should spend time on studies not on working. If immigration finds you working they can deport you. If you are serious about your studies – you will not have free time to work.
How are living conditions? Is it Safe? Will there be anybody as our Local Guardian?
All countries where students go are safe. There is good law, order and security in place. That is why International Students go there; same is true for Philippines also.
Particularly, ANGELES CITY, where the AUF, is situated, is considered as one the safest and most student friendly city of Philippines. There is a large contingent of students from India and many other countries. Students have a comfortable and pleasant stay. There are senior students who will assist in time of need. MENTOR has its own office in Philippines, to assist you in any of your needs at anytime.
Is there any special provision for International students to solve their any personal problems or queries?
Every university has an International Students Department where a student could address their problems directly.
Also, you can address your problems to MENTOR’s local office, and we will assist you in all ways.
Food and mess facilities, local orientation and assistance:
There is an Indian Café (mess), which serves tasteful Indian vegetarian meals. The University and the Hostel has other Cafés serving inexpensive local meals.
What are all the stuffs and articles we would need to carry with us while going there from India, to study?
MENTOR, provides you a comprehensive Packing advisory (Packing list), before your departure. The advisory is prepared keeping in mind the weight limits as specified by Airlines and things you will need on daily basis over there.
Give a brief idea about the Hostel facility there?
The hostel facility is up to the standards with attached bathrooms, with single, double or triple beds with fully Air-conditioned and WiFi enabled rooms as per the choice of accommodations. [Depends on the budgets] The students can choose to stay outside on their own accommodations after the 1’st semester.
Not all universities have their own accommodation for international students some of them are already filled. The hostels even if outside the campus are maintained by the university.
How many International students are already studying there?
- Over 2000 students from India both boys and girls studying Medicine in Philippines.
- There are many international students from USA, UK, Nepal, Pakistan, Turkey, Nigeria, Syria, China, Poland, Germany, and France studying in this Country.
- The country is safe and modern. Girls are given a lot of respect.
- The Universities of Philippines represented by us are most International student friendly Universities, and cater large number of students from across the world year on year.
Holidays, return to India, local travel:
There are two holidays in a year. Winter holidays during October for 15 days and summer holidays in July and August for two months. Students usually come back to India during summer. You can also choose to stay back in the summer for local sightseeing and travel in your student life, as you may not get such an opportunity again.
What about the Weather?
The Climate of the Philippines is tropical. There are 3 main seasons. Firstly from June to September is considered to be the areas rainy season when showers can be frequent and heavy although they do tend to pass relatively quickly. From October to February the climate is cool and dry according to the locals however the temperature only very rarely drops below 25 degree Celsius. Finally the hot and dry season which runs from March to may when temperatures can sore. Overall the climate is perfect for a holiday in paradise and long hours of sun make this a dream destination.
What is the voltage used in Philippines?
The voltage here is 220. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.
How to transfer money from India? Can I open a Bank account overseas?
- Take US $ in cash from India for fees and other expenses in the first year. You are allowed to carry up to 10,000 $ in Cash as per hand baggage rules. MENTOR helps you in getting the best rates for the FOREX.
- Also, MENTOR gives every student a FREE International Travel Currency Card ATM Card. Thru this Card; you will be able to withdraw money from ATM’s overseas after your parents deposit money in the account in India. This is the best way to transfer money from India. RBI has given permission to transfer $ 100,000 per year without any specific permission needed
- You can also open a local Bank account overseas with a local ATM card. Your parents can wire transfer the money to your account in the local Bank.
What is the cost Education overseas as compare to Indian Private Colleges? Is Quality of Education is better than Indian Colleges?
Studying in Philippines is much reasonable and lower than studying in private medical Colleges of India. Compare to Private Colleges in India, which charge Rs. 4 to 5 lacs a year as tuition fee and Rs. 15 to 20 lacs as Donation. As Philippines, you need not to pay any donation education is much CHEAPER than Private Indian Colleges.
Overseas Universities offer PG courses and their quality of education is MUCH BETTER than many Indian Private & Government Colleges, which do not offer PG courses.
International Universities offers EXCELLENT value for money education for medical students.
What is the cost of living in Philippines?
This varies from City to City. Normally our Students spend about 60-120 US$ per month depending on the spending habits, what you want to buy, where you want to eat.
What other types of expenses should I plan for while in Philippines?
Entertainment in Philippines is generally inexpensive. Transportation options include the public bus (which costs less than 10 pesos per ride) etc and taxi starts with around 60 – 80 Cents for 2 KM ride. Many students also opt to buy bicycles/motor bikes while they are in Philippines. Bicycles are the most prevalent mode of transport in Philippines.
Are any Scholarships available? What about Bank Loans?
- NO scholarships for international students. Cost of education is already very low & affordable.
- Loans: As per RBI regulation Students pursuing education abroad can obtain Bank loan up to Rs.15 Lacs. Visit a local Branch of a Bank for their terms. Amount sanctioned depends on income of parents. i.e. Last Three years Income Tax Returns or Salary Certificate.
How do I make my travel arrangements? Who will receive me?
In the first year MENTOR will arrange for travel of students in groups from India. You will meet by a representative at the airport who will assist you with travel to the University and settling in the Hostel. They will assist in completion of admission paper work and payment of fees to the University etc.
List of Things to Carry Overseas
Once you have decided to study Overseas ensure that you have the correct documents and sufficient money for fees and other expenses before leaving. Ensure you carry at least the following items with you:
- Passport with valid Visa
- Your travel ticket
- Money – in cash or travelers cheques in a secure pocket
- Letter of admission from the Institute
- Originals of class 12th degree certificates
- Two weeks of clothes, two woolen sweaters and two sets of woolen inners.
- Medical documents and any other document as prescribed the Embassy.
MENTOR, provides you a comprehensive Packing advisory (Packing list), before your departure. The advisory is prepared keeping in mind the weight limits as specified by Airlines.
What vaccinations do I need for Philippines?
The following vaccinations and applicable frequencies are recommended for students coming to Philippines: Hepatitis A (within previous 10 years); Hepatitis B (within previous 5 to 10 years), Japanese B Encephalitis (within previous 3 years); Tetanus (within previous 10 years); Polio (within previous 10 years); and Typhoid (once in lifetime).
What about Local Communication / Calls to India / Internet:
- You can call India from local phones or Inter-net phones near the hostel / Institute.
- You can take your GSM mobile handset from India or buy a GSM handset there and get a local sim-card and make or receive local or international calls from your mobile. MENTOR will provide you a SIM card free of cost as soon as you arrive in Philippines.
- You can email or chat from cyber cafes located near the Institute or the hostel.
- The college campus and hostel buildings are Wi-fi / Broadband internet enabled.
Can my Parent Visit me? Can I travel in my Holidays or stay back?
Parents / friends / relatives of students can visit you. MENTOR’s India and overseas office will assist you relatives in formalities. For holidays – students can stay back overseas or come back to India.
On completion of MBBS abroad, can I get a job in Government Hospital or Medical Institutions in India?
YES. After registering with the MCI, the Doctor is eligible to apply to the Govt. or Private sector for jobs, as s/he is now recognized by the Indian Authorities as a Qualified Doctor, registered with the Medical Council of India, to practice in India.
After completing MBBS abroad, can I do Post Graduation in India?
Yes, after registering with MCI, you will have all the rights as to any other doctor who passes MBBS in India. So, you will be eligible to apply for Post graduation admission in India.
Can I do Post Graduation Overseas? And Practice in India?
YES. After your MBBS, you can pursue PG overseas. Inquire for availability of specific courses. Some PG courses are offered in English Medium and some in local language. Each PG course takes 2 to 3 years for completion. After your PG – you need to comply with guidelines of the country where you wish to work in. In India – there are no rules for Doctors with an overseas PG degree; so they do private practice and not Govt. practice. For example: Two very famous Indian heart surgeons Dr. Devi Shetty and Dr. Naresh Trehan are both overseas trained and have roaring private practices but are not eligible for Govt. jobs as their PG is from overseas!!